Expert Profiles

Product and Visual Design

Summer 2018


I was assigned to this project as the sole product designer in the summer of 2018 at wikiHow. The project focused on designing an entirely new suite of pages (responsive web) to house credentials for our 500+ expert verifiers.


The team for this project was comprised wikiHow's CEO acting as the primary product manager, the in house Experts Team, an engineer, and myself in the role of Product Designer.

I was responsible for design ideation, iteration, prototyping, and high fidelity mockups throughout all stages of the project.


Through community feedback, the wikiHow team learned that the expert verified badges on our articles were not cutting it in terms of providing assurance that the user could place faith in the badge and trust the verified content.

The badge only linked the user to an index of experts, with no wikiHow page showcasing their credentials.


The goal of this project was to increase the authority and trustworthiness of the "expert verified" seal of approval on our verified articles.

Stakeholder Constraints

There were many stakeholder constraints in this project that came together to shape many of the final design decisions. Primarily, my designs had to account for an engineering team with low bandwidth. To ease use of engineering resources, I had to repurpose many components from across wikiHow and stick to pre built wikiHow technologies to build this new custom page.

In addition to engineering constraints, I also had to account for the Experts team, and design a system that would accommodate them having to manually fill all data.


My final designs focus on authority by providing details about the expert in a resume style format.

At the top, I created a header with the experts name, photo, and job title to create visual consistency with the verification badge.

Below this there are three specifically editable sections (“wikiText areas”) designed to ease engineering resources. These sections were made editable by using the same backend editing that the rest of our site uses.

This allowed more flexibility in editing for the Experts team and less custom engineering from the developers. A tradeoff of using these sections however was the limited text formatting that came with it.

To help ease the load the Experts team who would be responsible for compiling the information of 500+ experts, the bio section was placed at the top of the page, and a toggle was added to show or hide the two sections below.

The bio section was the only consistent piece of information that the Experts team had. Displaying this section first and letting the team to toggle the Experiences and Education section allowed us to launch the pages without large gaps of missing information as this would largely defeat our goal. As the experts team acquired experience and education details, this information could be seamlessly added to the pages.

Below the bio section lives the Experience and Education/Achievements sections mentioned above. My final solution included a toggle so that the experts team could switch this right hand column between Education and Achievements, depending upon the expert.

Splitting the right hand section into either education or achievements was a data driven design decision - users reported that the sections that made the page most trustworthy to them depended upon the category of the expert. For example, when reading about a Legal Expert, users reported being interested in seeing where the expert went to law school, while when reading about a Guitar Expert, their achievements were reported to be more applicable.


To provide some context for the design process on this project - stakeholders at wikiHow generally like to see high fidelity iterations. Given wikiHow's design language and system, I will often jump quickly to a high fidelity stage and test and iterate from there.

In addition to plenty of stakeholder constraints mentioned above, wikiHow generally likes to move very quickly and often doesn't have much time for user research.

Regardless, I did a small bit of user outreach to gather some outside opinions on authority, trustworthiness, and verification and from there got started high fidelity iteration and prototyping.

A stage of my iteration process that I greatly value and find vital in stakeholder communications is the prototyping stage. I made a few prototypes of things like a drop down expansion for the experts information and toggling sections on and off for design critiques to be able to illustrate more fleshed out ideas.


At the end of this iteration - critique - iteration process, I had a quick moment to validate design decisions with various company members uninvolved in the project, and from there I began collaborating with the engineering team to have the pages built.

Unfortunately I was unable to gather quantitative data on the pages success before they had to be temporarily removed due to a backend software update. Overall, this project was a great exercise in working within stakeholder constraints and being flexible.